The district administration has declared tower G of Chintels Paradiso in Sector 109 unsafe for habitation due to severe structural deterioration, over three months after it stated that towers E and F of the residential society are unfit for living.
Another building, tower A, is liveable as of now but deterioration has been noticed in it as well and a structural audit is recommended annually to ensure safety of residents. The defects were revealed in the structural audit report of towers A and G by IIT-Delhi, which was released by the district administration on Friday.
The report also said high amounts of chloride have been found in the concrete used in tower G, due to which steel bars have been corroded, making the building unsafe. The tower has a total of 56 flats and 34 families are living there at present. Tower A has 64 flats, of which 60 are occupied.
“We have declared tower G unsafe for habitation as the IIT-Delhi audit report states it is in danger, while tower A is considered safe for the time being. But it needs to be structurally audited again next year as its condition is deteriorating too. We will issue a public notice and the process of vacating tower G will begin soon. The audit reports of the remaining towers are also being sought at the earliest,” additional deputy commissioner Hitesh Meena said.
A spokesperson for Chintels India, the developer, said: “We have not yet received the official report of these two towers from the district administration. We will wait for the report of the Central Building Research Institute (CBRI), which is conducting its own structural audit, before jumping to any conclusions”.
IIT-Delhi had already declared towers E and F unsafe for habitation in its report submitted on February 14 this year. The process of compensation settlement for flat owners of towers D, E and F is going on under the supervision of deputy commissioner Nishant Yadav. Chintels has given what it said is the “final offer” to residents of these three towers to opt for compensation or get their flats repaired or rebuilt.
As of now, around 12 families are yet to vacate their flats in towers E and F despite repeated orders to do so by the district administration.
On February 10 last year, two residents were killed after the living rooms of five flats of tower D collapsed vertically. After this, the district administration announced a structural audit of all the towers of the project.