Larsen & Toubro (L&T) on Saturday evening erected their first 9.5m wide pier cap for 47 km Chennai Metro Line-5’s Adyar River Bridge linking Manapakkam – Nandambakkam neighborhoods.
The city’s mostly elevated new Line-5 under Chennai Metro’s Phase 2 project will connect Madhavaram – Sholinganallur via 48 stations. Within that, L&T’s 12.431 km long Package C5-ECV-02’s viaduct will cross over Adyar River to connect CMBT – Puzhuthivakkam.
Adyar River at this spot is roughly 100m wide, and Line-5’s bridge includes 6 piers – 4 within the river and 1 on either bank.
L&T was awarded C5-ECV-02’s Rs. 1656 crore contract in November 2021 with a 36 month deadline.
This section’s viaduct and 12 sections are located right in the middle of Line-5. It consists of 2 disjointed sections on either side of the double-decker Package C4-ECV-01 (Power House – Porur) which was awarded to Larsen & Toubro in May 2021.
The two sections and other infrastructure within include:
- CMBT to Alwartiru Nagar (approx. 3.2 km) with 3 stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop and Elango Nagar Bus Stop
- Porur Junction to Puzhuthivakkam (approx. 9 km) with 9 stations at Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, Butt Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam
- Integrated grade separator (flyover) from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital (approx. 2.5 km double decker viaduct for vehicles and metro trains)
- Underpass at Vanuvampet
- The very first pier cap of this package was launched on Mount Poonamallee Road in Nandabakkam’s IDPL neighborhood in February 2023 – roughly 15 months from the award of contract, which is way beyond the average time taken by contractors elsewhere.
- Further east of this site, 45.8 km Line-3’s twin tunnels will pass under Adyar River near Thiru Vi. Ka. Bridge. Larsen & Toubro had started tunneling work in February 2023 using tunnel boring machine Kaveri (S-1327A) from Greenways Road Station to Adyar Junction Station as part of Phase 2’s 12 km Package TU-02.