The Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) has started assessment of over 1 lakh residential properties in the city with view to levy additional property tax.
During a similar survey carried out around a few years ago, many properties with excess construction than permitted by the civic body was unearthed.
Moreover, the civic body had also found change in use of the residential properties. Some residential properties were found being used for commercial purposes with consent from the NMC.
An NMC official, said they have already started assessment of properties. “Once the assessment is completed, notices will be sent to the owners, asking them to submit their reply/objections about the excess construction and why additional tax should not be levied,” the official said.
“Assessment of around 80% of the total properties have so far been completed. It will take around a fortnight to complete the assessment of remaining 20% properties”, the official said.
We are expecting the assessment to be completed by the first half of August. Once the assessment is over, we will start issuing the notices from the second half of August. We will levy additional property tax if the owners do not file their objections,” the official added.
As per norms, the NMC charge property tax on residential and commercial units as per the built-up area.
The tax is levied on properties after the building completion certificates (BCCs) are issued by the town planning department to the new properties.
The civic body, from July 15, has also started a drive to recover dues from big property tax defaulters — those owing over Rs 2.5 lakh.
The defaulters will be given a 21-day ultimatum to make the payment failing to which the civic body will initiate the process to confiscate the properties.