To protect the concrete structures like Flyovers, Bridges, Parking areas, Big commercial buildings & Residential buildings only normal decorative exterior paint will not serve the purpose as those paints are not vapour permeable and for that reason the paint will peel off in humid weather. It needs anti carbonation coating which must have some special properties. Fairmate’s “FAIRCOAT” is well known and already protects several renowned structures in India.
FAIRCOAT is ready to use aliphatic elastomeric acrylic based coating containing special polymers and fillers. It is a smooth protective, decorative anti-carbonation coating for interior / exterior surfaces with exceptional weathering characteristics.It has the following properties.
Properties of Faircoat Anti- Carbonation Coatings
- High flexibility with crack bridging capabilities up to 2mm
- Breathable in nature
- UV resistant
- Very good bonding characteristic with the substrate
- Chloride ion diffusion is zero as per ASTM C 1202
- Resistance to carbon dioxide diffusion is > 50mm thickness of equivalent air layer as per EN 1062.
- Non-toxic and non-flammable
- Good weathering properties (Anti algal & anti fungal)
Wide range of exposure conditions: atmospheric carbonation, polluted urban/industrial environment, and marine and chemical atmosphere, all of which can damage the concrete and its embedded steel reinforcement. A major factor in concrete decay is carbonation, caused by carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere. Carbonation occurs when carbon dioxide reacts with calcium hydroxide of concrete and deposits as calcium carbonate, which reduces the protection of embedded steel reinforcement. This, in turn, results in reinforcing steel becoming susceptible to attack by water and oxygen, causing corrosion of the steel and eventually spalling of the concrete. Chloride ingress, in which chloride ions from the de-icing salts or from salt water, can penetrate into the concrete structure and can cause fast pitting corrosion of the reinforcement bars. The faster CO2 and chlorides penetrate into the concrete, the more severe will be the aggression. This aggression is faster in coastal areas (due to presence of chloride ions in seawater) with very high density of vehicles (Due to high emission of carbon monoxide from the vehicle which is being converted to carbon dioxide).
Application of Faircoat Anti- Carbonation Coatings
It can be used in the following areas :
- New Building & Bridges
- Existing Building & Bridges
- Interior Decorative of Building
- New Building & Bridges – It can be applied as an anti carbonation coating in New Buildings and Bridges which will enable it to resist attack by carbon dioxide, air borne chloride, rain with exceptional characteristics.
- Existing Building & Bridges – It can be applied as a protective coating in existing Buildings and Bridges to protect carbon dioxide, air borne chloride, and rain with exceptional characteristics.
- Interior Decorative of Building
As it is non-flammable and has excellent waterproof characteristics it can be also used in interior decoration.
To achieve effective anti carbonation coating a two-coat application is recommended. Faircoat covers 3-4m2 per kg with a recommended of two coats for dark shade. The surface texture and porosity must be taken into account while estimating quantities.
For more details visit: www.fairmate.com