Stepping into a shower can be more than just a routine; it can be an experience – a rejuvenating morning wake-up or a soothing evening wind-down. But with the vast array of shower options available, how can you ensure you’re making the right choice for those relaxing moments?
Whether you’re looking for a shower rigid riser kit or a rainfall shower head, our comprehensive shower buying guide is here to demystify the process, ensuring your bathroom becomes a sanctuary tailored to your needs. Keep reading to learn more!
Understanding Your Water System
Before making a choice, it’s important to understand your home’s water system. The performance of many showers is influenced by this.
Here are some common types of water systems:
- Gravity-fed system: Typically found in older homes, this system may require a pump to boost water pressure.
- Combi boiler: This heats water on demand, and is suitable for most shower types.
- Unvented system: Here, a boiler heats water which is then stored in a cylinder. It’s compatible with most showers, and delivers high pressure.
Types of Showers
A key step in perfecting your shower experience is selecting the right type. After finding out the specifics of your water system, it’s time to choose your shower. Each type serves unique needs and choosing the right one can help to improve your showering experience:
Imagine a device that provides hot water on demand, without relying on a separate hot water source. Electric showers do precisely that by heating cold water instantly as it passes through the unit. They are ideal for homes lacking a hot water cylinder. Furthermore, they are energy-efficient since they only heat the water you use, ensuring no wastage.
- Pros: Independent of central heating, so even if your boiler fails, you’ve still got a warm shower. They are economical as you only heat the water you use.
- Cons: Flow rate can be reduced in colder months as the unit works harder to heat the water.
Harnessing the power of both hot and cold water supplies, mixer showers blend them to deliver your desired temperature. They are exceptionally compatible with homes equipped with a combi boiler or an unvented system. With varied designs, from minimalist to opulent, they cater to diverse aesthetic preferences.
- Pros: They provide a steady temperature and are capable of delivering higher flow rates than electric showers.
- Cons: Relies on stored hot water, so if the boiler’s down, so is your warm shower.
If you’re plagued by the curse of low water pressure, power showers might just be your answer. They are essentially mixer showers but with an integrated pump, giving your water flow the boost it needs, leading to a more invigorating shower experience.
- Pros: Provides a robust flow, even in homes with low water pressure and allows for temperature and flow adjustments.
- Cons: Consumes more water, potentially increasing water bills and relies on stored water, so not ideal for homes with combi boilers.
Welcome to the future of showering! Digital showers offer a harmonious blend of precision and innovation. Controlled by a panel located either in or away from the showering area, it communicates wirelessly with the shower’s power unit, adjusting the flow and temperature. Whether you opt for a built-in or exposed version, you’re in for a technologically advanced treat.
- Pros: Precise temperature control, offering consistent heat settings. They can be controlled remotely, letting you set your shower from the comfort of your bed!
- Cons: Typically more expensive due to the advanced technology incorporated. Installation might be more complex than traditional showers.
Features to Consider When Shopping for Showers
While functionality is undeniably essential, selecting the right shower is as much about style and efficiency. Here’s what to keep an eye out for:
Bid farewell to sudden temperature fluctuations. With thermostatic controls, your shower maintains its temperature, even if someone else is using water elsewhere in the house. The result? No unexpected icy blasts or scorching surges.
Environmentally minded? Many modern showers are equipped with eco settings, designed to reduce water consumption. A sustainable choice that’s gentle on both the planet and your wallet.
Multiple Spray Patterns
Customise your rinse with a range of spray patterns. Whether you fancy a soft mist or a robust jet, these options ensure every shower suits your mood.
Easy Clean Nozzles
Limescale can be a pesky adversary, especially in hard water areas. Showers with easy-clean nozzles combat this, ensuring a consistent and unhindered water flow.
Design and Aesthetics
- Traditional vs. Contemporary: Your bathroom’s vibe can dictate your shower choice. From vintage allure to modern minimalism, ensure your shower aligns with your aesthetic preferences.
- Finish Options: While chrome is timeless and versatile, don’t shy away from bolder choices. Matte black exudes sophistication, and brass brings a touch of vintage charm.
- Shower Heads: The shower head can redefine your showering experience. Consider its size, shape, and style. Are you drawn to the enveloping cascade of an overhead rain shower, do you value the flexibility of a handheld variant, or do you require a two outlet shower system for both?
Installation and Maintenance
Ensuring your shower stands the test of time goes beyond the initial purchase. The installation and ongoing maintenance play pivotal roles in preserving its functionality and aesthetic appeal. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Professional installation: Always have your shower installed by a certified professional to ensure safety and functionality.
- Warranties: Opt for showers that come with a manufacturer’s guarantee for peace of mind.
- Regular maintenance: Check for signs of wear and tear, and descale regularly if you live in a hard water area.
Choosing the perfect shower goes beyond its aesthetics. With a clear understanding of your home’s water system, knowing the different types of showers, and what features to look out for, you’re well on your way to making the best choice. Here’s to countless refreshing mornings and relaxing evenings ahead!