Long reach excavators, also known as high reach or extended reach excavators, are specialised construction machines equipped with extended booms and arms, allowing them to reach much farther than standard excavators. These machines are commonly used in situations where traditional excavators cannot access or are unable to reach, such as deep excavations, dredging operations, or demolition projects. Long reach excavators are essential for tasks that require precision, reach, and efficiency in various industries, including construction, environmental cleanup, and infrastructure development. Their versatility and extended reach make them valuable equipments for handling challenging projects with ease and precision.
Components of long reach excavators;
Long reach excavators, typically consist of the following components:
- Boom: The boom is the main arm of the excavator and is extended to reach far distances. It can be adjustable in length and angle to suit the specific job requirements.
- Stick or Arm: The stick or arm is attached to the boom and houses the bucket or attachment. It provides additional reach and flexibility when digging or reaching high places.
- Bucket: The bucket is the part of the excavator used for digging, scooping, and carrying materials. Long reach excavators may have various types of buckets for different tasks, such as digging, grading, or lifting.
- Hydraulic System: A hydraulic system powers the movement of the excavator’s components, including the boom, stick, and bucket. It provides the force and control required for precise operation.
- Counterweight: Long reach excavators often require counterweights to balance the extended boom and maintain stability during operation.
- Cabin: The operator’s cabin is where the excavator is controlled. It contains the controls, instrumentation, and a comfortable workspace for the operator.
- Undercarriage: The undercarriage includes the tracks or wheels of the excavator, depending on the model. It provides mobility and stability while moving on various terrains.
Advantages of long-reach excavators:
- Versatility: They can be used for a wide range of applications, from demolishing tall buildings to dredging deep bodies of water or excavating in hard-to-reach areas.
- Safety: Their extended reach reduces the need for operators to work in close proximity to hazardous areas, enhancing safety on construction and demolition sites.
- Efficiency: These machines can complete tasks faster and with fewer movements because they reach their targets more easily, which can result in time and cost savings.
- Precision: Long-reach excavators offer improved precision when handling materials or performing tasks in challenging environments, making them ideal for delicate operations like demolishing structures in tight urban spaces.
- Increased Reach: They can access areas that standard excavators cannot, which is particularly advantageous for tasks involving deep excavations and tall structures.
Different types of long reach excavator models;
Long Reach Excavators with Advanced Positive Flow Hydraulic System:
Long reach excavators equipped with advanced positive flow hydraulic systems offer enhanced efficiency, responsiveness, and precision in hydraulic operations. These systems significantly improve productivity by minimizing energy loss and reducing fuel consumption, all while providing the operator with precise control over boom, stick, and bucket movements. They excel in various applications, from precise digging and grading to heavy-duty excavation, all while prioritizing safety through features like overload protection. The adaptive control technology further optimizes performance, making these excavators versatile, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly choices for demanding tasks such as deep excavation, dredging, and construction work. They incorporate hydraulic flow summation and boom priority systems to enhance productivity, along with an intelligent control system featuring 11 power modes to optimize output and fuel efficiency. In terms of reliability, these excavators are designed with durable major components and robust structures, ensuring trouble-free operation with minimal operating costs.
Long Reach Excavators with Higher Digging Force:
The latest models boast excellent digging forces, an advanced hydraulic system, and a durable structure to ensure top-notch performance and longevity. Operator comfort is a priority, with a spacious cabin, fully adjustable seat, and enhanced visibility, reducing operator fatigue during extended work hours. Hyundai’s commitment to reliability and support is evident with reinforced structural components, easy maintenance access, genuine parts availability, and a remote management system for proactive maintenance and enhanced efficiency. Advanced features, including multiple operating modes, arm regeneration, and one-touch idle, offer fuel efficiency even in challenging conditions. The machine’s lifting capacities and optional equipment make it adaptable for a variety of construction tasks. Whether it’s digging, lifting, or handling heavy materials, this excavator provides a comprehensive solution. With Hyundai’s focus on operator comfort, durability, and safety, this machine aims to deliver maximum performance, efficiency, and quality, making it a valuable asset for construction professionals seeking a versatile and reliable excavator.
Long Reach Excavators for a Variety of Applications:
The latest models of long reach excavators excel in a wide range of applications, from cleaning water bodies and dredging to agri well digging and metro construction. They are equipped with a robust engine boasting powerful performance. With an operating weight that falls within the range of 20,800 to 21,300 KG, these excavators provide both stability and strength for diverse tasks. Their 0.5 m3 bucket capacity facilitates efficient digging and loading operations. Notably, these machines stand out due to their exceptional hydraulics, which include a cross-sensing summation system, a fuel-saving pump system, an original pilot circuit, and boom and arm regeneration with holding valves. These hydraulic systems contribute to precise and efficient operation. Furthermore, these excavators offer remarkable versatility, as they can be customized with various attachments and accessories, allowing them to adapt to different job requirements. The design of these machines places a strong emphasis on power optimization, ensuring efficient and effective operation across various applications. They also incorporate efficiency-enhancing features like slow return valves for controlled boom and arm operations, ultimately improving productivity and safety during work.
Long Reach Excavators with Heavy-Duty Buckets:
The new range of excavators offers a variety of features designed for maximum productivity and reliability. Their purpose-built attachments, such as heavy-duty buckets and a universal quick coupler, seamlessly integrate with the machines, enhancing their versatility. An attachment management system allows for easy switching between different tools, while Genuine Volvo Wear Parts protect critical areas, extending the bucket’s lifespan. The excavators’ robust design, reinforced structure, and high tensile steel construction ensure durability, even in challenging applications. They boast an electro-hydraulic system for efficient hydraulic flow control, larger buckets for increased on-site production, and Volvo’s unique ECO Mode to save fuel without compromising performance. The D16 engine provides increased horsepower and fuel efficiency, and Customer Support Agreements offer maintenance and uptime services.
Long Reach Excavators with Hydraulic Regeneration System:
The long reach excavators come with a hydraulic regeneration system, which optimizes fuel consumption and accelerates cycle times. They excel in challenging conditions, thanks to their outstanding bucket and dipper tear-out forces. Furthermore, they prioritize fuel efficiency with JCB ecoHydraulics, three power modes for effective fuel management, and customizable engine speeds in Eco mode with IntelliControl. Maintenance costs are kept in check with an extended service interval filtration system, a specialized pre-cleaner assembly, and easy-to-maintain components like the graphite-induced bush. With a bucket capacity ranging from 0.45 cu.m to 0.55 cu.m and a remarkable bucket tear-out force of 13,460 kgf, they are a force to be reckoned with. Additionally, their 104 kW engine power, extended hydraulic oil service intervals of 5,000 hours, and robust 23,850 kg max operating weight provide a solid foundation. The inclusion of IntelliControl from the NXT Series further enhances their capabilities.
Applications of long reach excavators
The extended reach and precision of long reach excavators make them indispensable in a wide range of construction applications, allowing for efficient and safe completion of tasks that require reach and depth.
Long reach excavators are highly versatile construction machines with extended arms designed to reach greater depths and heights. Their applications in construction include:
1. Deep Excavation: Long reach excavators are used to dig deep foundation pits for structures like high-rise buildings and bridges, allowing for efficient and precise excavation.
2. Demolition: These excavators are vital in safely demolishing tall structures, reaching heights that standard excavators cannot. They enable controlled dismantling in urban environments.
3. Dredging: Long reach excavators are employed in dredging operations to clear sediments, debris, and maintain waterways, such as rivers, lakes, and harbours.
4. Waterway Maintenance: They assist in maintaining canals, rivers, and dams by clearing debris, riverbank stabilisation, and repairing infrastructure.
5. Bridge Construction and Repair: These excavators reach underneath bridges to assist in foundation work, abutment maintenance, and bridge construction or rehabilitation.
6. Landscaping and Shoreline Work: They help in landscaping, erosion control, and shoreline stabilisation projects by creating embankments, retaining walls, and terraces.
7. Utility Trenching: Long reach excavators efficiently dig deep utility trenches for the installation of pipelines, cables, and conduits.
8. Quarry Operations: These excavators are essential in mining and quarry operations, as they can reach deep into pits to extract materials.
Long reach excavators have proven to be indispensable for construction and infrastructure projects. With ongoing advancements in technology and design, these machines continue to enhance efficiency and safety on construction sites while minimising environmental impact. As demand for specialized excavation equipment grows, long reach excavators are likely to remain a cornerstone of modern construction practices, catering to a wide range of applications and ensuring the successful completion of complex projects with greater ease and versatility.
Image Source: kobelco-in.com, in.hd-hyundaice.com, tatahitachi.co.in, jcb.com/en-in/, volvoce.com/india/en-in/